Sarasota County History
The Arthur T. and Loretta P. Nelson House is located at 4017 Swift Road on the northeast corner of Swift Road and Forest Lane. There are two historic resources on the property: a single story Frame Vernacular Style house with Craftsman influences, and a single-bay, frame garage. The garage was constructed first in approximately 1925, and lived in while the house was constructed in 1926.more »
A man does not have to work hard for a living in Sarasota…He can plant an orange grove at little expense and in a few years the trees will be bearing, and the fruit can be sold at a handsome price…The ground is so fertile and the climate so warm in Sarasota that two bountiful crops of vegetables can be grown each year…The town is small but very modern…The people there truly live an idyllic existence.
(An 1885 Edinburgh newspaper advertising a new Florida community)