X

Get Social With Us

like watch follow

X

Receive Email Updates

Sign up today and receive our newsletter and more directly to your inbox.

Name
X

Search Sarasota History

contact us follow us newsletter sign up search this site

Where Am I?

Cateogry: History Quiz
Posted by: Editor on Wednesday, January 13, 2016

where am i

Submit Answers in Comments (below). Answers will not be revealed until a winner is selected.

I am a 1924 Comprehensive Plan for the City of Sarasota City, and alas, I was not adopted as drawn by my planner (sounds familiar). Some of my streets and squares don’t speak for what is here today. For example: The streets that are visible in this section of the plan are; Bay Parkway, Mays Street, and Grove Avenue. Some of the squares are; Osceola Square, Dade Square, De Soto Square, and Havana Square. Your challenge is to determine in what part of Sarasota I am located. Please be specific with the boundaries. Where am I?

clientuploads/newsletter/JHG-Cover-prize.jpg

Your award this week is the book, John Hamilton Gillespie - The Scot Who Saved Sarasota by Jeff LaHurd. The Friend's of the Sarasota County History Center generously provided this prize. Please consider becoming a member of the Friends; they have some exciting programs coming up soon. Visit them here.

If you would like to be a sponsor of our "Where Am I?" quiz, please call us at (941) 951-7727. It only cost $25 per week for us to set up your ad, and then you only have to provide a prize for the winner. What could be easier?

Winner: Renee Mathews, Answer: The area adjacent to Sarasota Bay just north of the Ringling Causeway and south of 10th Street

Comments & Quiz Answers

16 comments on "Where Am I?"

Private comment posted on January 28, 2016
Private comment posted on January 27, 2016
Private comment posted on January 27, 2016
Ty Warner on January 25, 2016 said:
That is essentially the Boulevard of the Arts area -- Van Wezel, the Hyatt, the old Selby Library/G-Whiz, the Coast Guard Auxiliary, and even touches on Centennial Park. John Nolan had the right idea! :)
Janet Stauss on January 15, 2016 said:
S to N: 10th Street to 15th Street; W to E: Bay Front to Florida Avenue
Renee Mathews on January 14, 2016 said:
I believe this is the Ritz Carlton area and Hyatt including Van Wezel
Stan Huguenin on January 14, 2016 said:
It appears to be an area now bounded on the south by 6th Street, expanding north to include former site of the FPL Plant (now Centennial Park) and east to approximately Coconut.
Gayle Hughes on January 13, 2016 said:
The corner of Siesta Drive and Hwy 41.
Jon Smally on January 13, 2016 said:
Golden Gate Point formerly Cedar Point
Rusty Glendinning on January 13, 2016 said:
Where the Municipal Audutorium and the old library ate today. US 41 between Blvd of the Arts and 10th Street.
Chris Houtchens on January 13, 2016 said:
From main/Lower Main and to the North
Chuck Early on January 13, 2016 said:
the area surrounding the old Sarasota Quay site, near the intersections of Fruitville, 6th, and 10th Streets. And how do I make my comment private?
Suzy Hagglund on January 13, 2016 said:
I think this is just south of Yellow Bluffs, near what is now Centennial Park and the boat launch. It also includes the land where the Municipal Auditorium was built and Van Wezel Hall, perhaps all the way south to Boulevard of the Arts. Sarasota Bay is the western boundary (of course).
gary jacobs on January 13, 2016 said:
Landings Subdivision
gary jacobs on January 13, 2016 said:
The Landings Subdivision
Diana Paver on January 13, 2016 said:
It was to be a dredged out basin by where Oleary's tikki bar is now and south of Marina Jack and North of Selby Gardens. Hi Larry!