Sarasota's Five Points
Articles: Sarasota History
Five Points, the intersection of Main, Pineapple and Central has been an anchor for downtown Sarasota for much of its existence. The building that stood at the northeast corner of Main and Central has been the focal point of many photographs over the years, often a symbol of Sarasota's commercial activity.
Soon after the colonists arrived from Scotland in late 1885, a hotel-boardinghouse was built on that corner. Even at the beginning of the settlement, it was important to have housing for visitors, construction workers and potential land buyers.
As the Florida Land Boom generated energy in 1924, real estate developer and entrepreneur Joseph H. Lord demolished the boarding house and announced the construction of Sarasota's first skyscraper, the First Bank and Trust Building. Accompanying the full-page headline in The Sarasota Times was a reproduction of architect M. Leo Elliott's design for the building.
The project anticipated a seven-story office building with Corinthian columns decorating the ground floor exterior and one-story rows of stores extending along both Main Street and Central Avenue.
In the promotional style used to report events during Sarasota's building boom, The Sarasota Times listed the special features of the new structure - steam heat for every office, drinking fountain on each floor, and "The first passenger electric hydraulic elevator in Sarasota." By the time the bank was completed, it had lost its claim to being the first skyscraper in Sarasota to the Sarasota Hotel down the street at Palm Avenue and Main.
The collapse of the Florida Land Boom by 1927 had repercussions in the local banking circles before the stock market crash in late 1929. First Bank and Trust was the second of four Sarasota banks to close. Within days, however, July 21, 1929, the Sarasota Herald announced the opening of the new Palmer National Bank. Led by members of the Palmer family, major players in Sarasota's business life, the Palmer Bank initially occupied the vacant American National Bank building (later known as the Orange Blossom Hotel), but soon moved into the empty First Bank and Trust facility at Five Points.
Palmer Bank remained solvent throughout the Depression, and with the post-World War II economic recovery, it expanded with the development of Sarasota. In 1945 GA. Miller Construction Co. of Tampa, which had built the original structure in 1924, was hired to build an annex on the east side of the bank. During 1964 the building received a new face. Any remaining decorative work, after removal of the terra cotta cornice in the 1950s, was cut away and replaced with a modern facade of marble, steel, aluminum and glass.
Palmer Bank merged with Southeast Bank in 1976 and Southeast Bank merged with First Union in 1991. Afterwards, RISCORP owned Sarasota's second skyscraper and proposed demolishing it, to make way for a new complex at the revitalized Five Points. Eventually that occurred and today it has been replaced with a multi-storied condominium, and offices, retail and restaurants on the street level. The building is now called Plaza at Five Points.
You Might Also Like
The historic American National Bank Building, later known as the Orange Blossom Hotel, is located at 1330 Main Street in downtown Sarasota, Florida. The building is a significant historical and architectural landmark in the city. Neo-Classical in style, it is one of the three earliest skyscrapers in Sarasota.
In the absence of an organized fire department, one of the most common threats to early area residents was fire. Lighting your way into a stable with a candle? Found by the Town Marshall to have an unsafe stovepipe or chimney in your house? The first set of ordinances for such behaviors you were liable for a $50 fine or doing time in the calaboose.
Religion has always played an important part in the development of Sarasota. Even though the population was small, several denominations were organized in the late 1890s and early 1900s. The First Baptist Church was organized on March 23, 1902, with five charter members: the Rev. Henry Messer, James Bates, Nathan Hayman, Mrs. Kiziah Messer and Patsy Dancy. The Rev. P.O. Miller was the first regularly elected pastor and James Bates was the first clerk.