Get Social With Us

like watch follow


Receive Email Updates

Sign up today and receive our newsletter and more directly to your inbox.


Search Sarasota History

contact us follow us newsletter sign up search this site

Buildings: Sarasota History

Get our bi-weekly brain-teasers and stories on people, places and events delivered to your inbox by signing-up for our Newsletter.

A Westmore Tenant House & The Smith/Freeman Home

What was known in the 1920s as the "Spanish Boom" incorporated stylistic qualities of Spanish, Colonial, Byzantine, Moorish, Mission, and Italianate styles of architecture making the Mediterranean Revival, sometimes referred to as Spanish Eclectic Bungalow, typical of the style of many homes built during 1920s Sarasota.

See More

Albert Roehr Estate

The Albert Roehr Estate was built in 1925-26 by Albert Roehr, Sr. of Sarasota Ornamental Iron Works, as the Roehr family home. It was later the residence of Mr. and Mrs. George Lindsay; Mr. Lindsay was the editor of the Sarasota Herald newspaper (later known as the Sarasota Herald Tribune).

See More

American National Bank (Orange Blossom Hotel)

The historic American National Bank Building, later known as the Orange Blossom Hotel, is located at 1330 Main Street in downtown Sarasota, Florida. The building is a significant historical and architectural landmark in the city. Neo-Classical in style, it is one of the three earliest skyscrapers in Sarasota.

See More

Anna Cosden Berry House

The Anna Cosden Berry House, located at 1910 Datura Street in DeSota Park Subdivision, is a Spanish Eclectic Style bungalow with easily identifiable characteristics and details of that style of architecture.

See More

Appleby Building

This building, now known as Resurrection House, is located at 513 (501-513) Kumquat Court. The one story structure was originally divided into seven shop fronts, but is now owned and used entirely by Resurrection House.

See More

Ashton Home

The Ashton home is significant due to its association with Walter S. Ashton, an important Sarasota grower, and it is also associated with Count Gourmajenko, a winter resident in Sarasota for 8 years.

See More

Bidwell-Wood House

The Bidwell-Wood House is located at 1260 12th Street and is a one and one-half story Classical Revival, wood-frame structure with a Georgian floor plan, built in 1882. The house formerly was located at 881 Florida Avenue, and prior to that, 900 S. Euclid Avenue, and prior to that it stood near the intersection of U.S. 41 and Wood Street.

See More

Boat & Lighthouse

The construction of buildings that resemble boats and lighthouses is not a new idea as there are several others elsewhere in the United States. As such, it may be said that Sarasota's belong to a very exclusive "club" of landmark buildings.

See More

Page 1 of 12