Buildings: Sarasota History
This building, now known as Resurrection House, is located at 513 (501-513) Kumquat Court. The one story structure was originally divided into seven shop fronts, but is now owned and used entirely by Resurrection House.
The building is Mediterranean Revival in style and represents a typical commercial building of the 1920's.
The storefront building at 601 - 613 Citrus Avenue (later 501 - 513 Kumquat Court) was built in the 1920's. The building was built before 1926 since it appears on a title dated July 2, 1926. Mrs. J. Earl Michael, wife of J. Earl Michael who owned Michael, the Cleaner, says the building was built in 1925. Michael's was then located on Orange Avenue which was close by.
Through the years (1923-1990) the stores were used for light manufacturing, service industries, and storage.
A 1923 tenant of the building was the Walpole-Castor Real Estate Co. located at 609 Citrus Avenue, later 509 Kumquat Court. This Mr. Walpole (F. A. Walpole) was father to F. H. (Francis) Walpole and Charles Walpole. Francis went into the pharmacy business and Charles went into the insurance business as Cubbage-Walpole Insurance. Walpole Drug Store was located on the ground floor and Cubbage-Walpole Insurance on the second floor where Patrick's Restaurant is now located.
Cubbage-Walpole insurance later became Ludwig-Walpole Insurance. They are still in business and are presently located at 300 S. Orange Avenue.
Michael the Cleaner occupied 613 Citrus Avenue (513 Kumquat Court) during 1923, 1929, and 1930. The business moved to this location from 3rd and Orange because a hurricane destroyed their building. The business, owned by J. Earl Michael, was handed down to his son, Daniel J. Michael, and, over the years, expanded to several locations around Sarasota. Michael the Cleaner was sold by Daniel Michael in 1934.
In 1953, Specialume Products Co., a company making sliding doors and owned by Alf Nilsen, occupied 503 Kumquat Court. Mr. Nilsen's company later expanded to become Nilsen Glass Company presently located on Lime Avenue in Sarasota.
The Appleby Building was locally designated by the City of Sarasota 1995.