Dr. Halton Residence
Buildings: Sarasota History
The two-story, pressed stone, transitional Queen Anne Style building located at 308 Cocoanut Avenue (north-east corner of Third Street), was built from 1909 to 1910 for Dr. and Mrs. Joseph Halton. A contemporary press clipping noted: "Dr. & Mrs. Joseph Halton are moving into their new stone mansion today."
Evaluation of construction techniques provides evidence that the Halton residence was built by Joseph S. Maus, who was originally from Northumberland, Pennsylvania, but was engaged in the concrete and construction business in Sarasota. Further evidence exists, which establishes the source of the machine used to mold the pressed-stone blocks, and ornamentation present in the structure - the Miracle Pressed Stone Company of Minneapolis, Minnesota, patented a double-staggered, air space cement building block in 1903.
J.S. Maus and Son were responsible for the pressed blocks and construction of "The Acacias," and the Miracle Pressed Stone Company's molds were used to create the pressed stone. Two postcard views of 308 Cocoanut Avenue, circa 1910, owned by the family of Mr. J.S. Maus, provide not only a basis for attribution, but visual documentation of the original structure.
Dr. Joseph Halton was born in St. Helens, Lancashire, England, settling with his family in Bowling Green, Ohio at the age of seven. He graduated from Miami Medical College of Oxford, Ohio and the University of Cincinnati. Dr. Halton arrived in Sarasota in 1907 and joined his brother, Dr. Jack Halton, in practice at the Halton Sanatorium.
At a later date, Dr. Joseph Halton established a private hospital in the Halton Building at 113 North Pineapple Avenue. Dr. Halton served as health agent for the then Manatee County; he was appointed by the State Board of Health of Florida, and he practiced medicine until his death in 1963. In addition to his prominent medical career, Dr. Halton served as a member of the Town Council and was president of the Council, elected in the year 1910. In 1951 the American Legion presented the "Citizen of the Year" citation to Dr. Halton, in recognition for the over 1,600 free operations performed and medical care provided for needy children, his civic endeavors, and ... "Third: The community is a better place because he has worked and lived with us."
The Dr. Halton Residence was locally designated by the City of Sarasota in 1989.