Videos: Sarasota History
It was a major event for Sarasota in the 1930s. The dedication of Sarasota's new post office (The Federal Building) on South Osprey Avenue rated the lead story of the Sarasota Herald on February 15, 1935.
U.S. Postmaster General James A. Farley addressed the crowds of several hundred residents and visitors during a short visit to the city. Preceding the ceremony, Kentucky Military Institute cadets from Venice led a parade that included a Ringling circus elephant named "Mae West" and a circus donkey.