X

Get Social With Us

like watch follow

X

Receive Email Updates

Sign up today and receive our newsletter and more directly to your inbox.

Email
Name
X

Search Sarasota History

contact us follow us newsletter sign up search this site

Payne Park

Videos: Sarasota History

Location: 2050 Adams Lane, Sarasota, FL 34237

Payne Park was host to many of Major League Baseball's most renowned figures from 1924, when the reigning champion of New York Giants of the National League opened spring training, until 1988, when the Chicago White Sox of the American League played their last spring game. The stadium was torn down in 1990.

Payne Park has now been completely revamped, and is a spacious and inviting public park for so many venues that include, tennis, skateboarding, running and walking trails, an amphitheater and much more. 85 years later, Calvin and Martha Payne would be proud.


You Might Also Like

Baseball Legend Ted Williams' Time in Sarasota

By: Ann A. Shank, former County Historian

From the time Ted Williams drove up to the Sarasota Terrace Hotel in "an old jalopy" as a Boston Red Sox rookie, until the Sox concluded their spring training games in Sarasota, Williams was a popular subject in the local press and community.

See More

Calvin N. Payne

By: Sarasota County History Center

Calvin and Martha Payne, winter residents from 1917 to 1926, were said to have given Sarasota the finest gift it ever received.    In 1925 they donated 60 acres of centrally located land, valued at $250,000, to be used for a public park. Located at East Avenue and Adams Lane, part of the land is used for a skateboard park today.  

See More

Payne Park

Payne Park was host to many of Major League Baseball's most renowned figures from 1924, when the reigning champion of New York Giants of the National League opened spring training, until 1988, when the Chicago White Sox of the American League played their last spring game. The stadium was torn down in 1990.

See More

Payne Park

By: Ann A. Shank, former County Historian

Payne Park began as a dream in the mind of Calvin N. Payne. When reporting on Payne's 1921 purchase of 60 acres next to the downtown golf course, The Sarasota Times launched the action, assuming that the land would be used to expand the golf course. That was not to be, however, for Calvin and Martha Payne agreed in the fall of 1923 to give the land to the city for a park.

See More