The naval stores industry provided employment for workers leaving the plantation system following the Civil War. Some laborers were leased by private companies from state or county prisons. This leasing system brought about conditions of peonage to many workers. Following public outcry, the state legislature prohibited the leasing of convicts. Turpentine processing and lumber milling reached this area around 1910. One of the early stills and prisoner stockades operated by the Hall and Harrison Turpentine Company was located west of the Seaboard Air Line Railway in Nokomis. The still worked land north of Nokomis and south of Venice.
Later, 4,000 acres were leased from the estate of Mrs. Potter Palmer for developing a turpentine operation called the McKeithan Still after Sam G. McKeithan, the manager. It was located northeast of the Seaboard Air Line Railway where it now crosses Laurel Road. A cemetery for Blacks, evidence of which has disappeared, was located on a knoll east of the still. About 1925, turpentining was replaced by the lumber business. J. Ray Arnold Lumber Company's large mill was north of the still's Black housing. The mill was connected by rail to nine or ten smaller mills. By 1930, the timber had been sawed and hauled out.
Dedicated in 1987 by the Sarasota County Historical Commission
You must be logged in to leave a comment.
In December 1913, Oscar and Alice Burton joined real estate developer and future Sarasota Mayor Arthur B. Edwards (1914-1915 and 1920-1921) and his wife Fannie in selling the land south of Hudson Bayou to the Sarasota Improvement Company. In 1915, the area, recorded as Avondale Heights Subdivision, was advertised as “a place for families of average means.”Read More »
After World War II, Sarasota experienced an influx of new residents, creating a housing boom. Martin Paver, retired from his business in New York, was on a pleasure cruise in 1949 when he and his wife Mildred docked in Sarasota to buy supplies. He fell in love with the charming city, decided to make it his home, and invited his sons Paul and Stanley to join him in land development. Their first venture was Paver Park, built near the downtown area.Read More »
Cedar Point, a hook of land on Sarasota Bay, was platted in 1899 and recorded as an addition to the Town of Sarasota in 1900.Read More »