Journals of Yesteryear

Seagate, The Crosley Estate

Author: Mark D. Smith, former County Archivist
Source: Sarasota County History Center

Just north of the Sarasota County line on the North Trail, hidden down a long driveway to the bay, is a mansion designed in the Mediterranean style known as Seagate. Seagate (or the Crosley Mansion) is one of the several notable mansions (Ca'd'Zan, Edson Keith House, Charles Ringling Estate) that were built during what was called the Gulf Coast Golden Age. The photograph above is of the bayfront side and gives an example of the grandeur of the estate. Built by Cincinnati industrialist Powell Crosley Jr. in 1929, the 11,000-square-foot mansion has 21 rooms and seven full bathrooms. Sarasota building contractor Paul W. Bergman completed construction in 135 days at a cost of $350,000.

Along with the construction of the mansion, Powell Crosley built a seawall and a yacht basin that extended nearly 600 feet along the bay and included a mooring area for his seaplane and a 25-foot-by-35-foot terrazzo swimming pool fed by an artesian well. Powell Crosley Jr, and his wife, Gwendolyn, lived at Seagate during the winter seasons from 1929 to 1939. After her death in 1939, the Crosley family occasionally used the mansion.

Powell Crosley was a promoter, businessman and industrialist who had the knack of transforming ideas into reality. Between 1900 and 1940, in the field of radio, Crosley generated the first automobile radio, the first push-button radio and the world's most powerful radio station. Other items included one of the first mail-order specialty companies, the first portable freezer, the patent for shelves in the doors of refrigerators and freezers, the first lights on a major league baseball field and the first mass-produced small economy car.

During World War II, an officers' club occupied the mansion. After the war, in 1947, the D. & D. Corporation purchased the residence from Powell Crosley Jr. In 1948, Freeman H. Horton purchased Seagate and its contents from the D. & D. Corporation. Freeman Horton was a prominent civil engineer, having designed several notable structures in the region such as the original Sunshine Skyway Bridge, the Sarasota/Bradenton Airport, the Tampa Bayshore Seawall and the Sebring Airbase. The Horton family occupied Seagate from 1948 to 1977. Between 1977 and 1982, the Horton family leased the Estate, and it remained in family ownership until 1982.

In 1982, the Horton family sold Seagate to the Campeau Corporation (Federated Stores) of Canada. It was the intent of the new owners to develop a shopping center fronting on U.S. 41 (Tamiami Trail) and convert Seagate for use as the promotional headquarters and a clubhouse for a proposed adult congregate living facility. However, due to financial problems, Campeau Corporation sold Seagate to Manatee County in 1991. It has been restored and now is used for special events, wedding receptions, and community affairs.

Rate This Article

Total Votes: 1 Avg Vote: 1

Comments

Thank you for your comments!

You must be logged in to leave a comment.

There are details presented in the article that are inaccurate. Check for Friends of Seagate Inc. on the web.
Posted by on November 18, 2011
Thank goodness that Canadian Company didn't get it!! So glad to have it be available for all in its original glory!
Posted by camillecracker on November 16, 2011

advertisement

Sarasota County History and Preservation Organizations

 

Get Our Free Weekly Newsletter

sign up

Featured Journals

A Military Post on Sarasota Bay

By the early 1830s, tensions were building between Seminoles, homesteaders and U.S. military forces. A lack of resources within the Indian Territory established by the 1823 Treaty of Moultrie Creek had led to hunting forays outside the reserve boundaries. There had been no resolution of the issue of the return of runaway black slaves held by the Seminoles, and thefts of cattle by both Indians and homesteaders caused further dissention. The Second Seminole War erupted in 1835 with the ambush and massacre of Major Dade and his command.

Read More »
Osprey School

Having been vacated by the School Board in 1989, the building stood empty until restoration work began in June 1995. It is now the visitor center for Historic Spanish Point.

Read More »
Venice Survived Boom and Bust Times

The City of Venice celebrates its 88th anniversary this coming April. Venice has come a long way since its beginning. The Knight family first homesteaded in the area in 1869, along with other pioneer families. The community that grew up in the region of Dona Bay became known as Horse and Chaise. Others began to come into the area in the late 1880s. Among them the Higel and J.H. Lord families, who purchased land and began experimenting with citrus and honey making.

Read More »
close
User ID :
Password :
Log In

Wrong user name or password!